Rich Family Endowment
Community-based and student-led projects to address social issues in the City of Houston.
Next round of applications will be in Spring 2022 for Summer 2022 project implementation.
The Rich Family Endowment Grant Program provides Houston community contacts and priorities, curriculum on civic professionalism and ethical engagement, alumni mentorship, and funding to student leaders for civically engaged projects. Community partners put forward issue focus areas for which they are seeking student-led project proposals that will involve mobilizing fellow students to build the capacity of the organization. Applicants (in partnerships or small groups) will select a community partner and identified need area from the application form and propose a correlating project idea they would like to work on throughout the fall semester in preparation for spring 2022 implementation.
The selected cohort of student leaders will then be supported throughout the development of their project with bi-weekly workshops, alumni mentorship, and collaboration with their community partner. Workshops will be focused on critical philanthropy from the benefactors’ and participants’ perspective of the process, effective strategies for mobilization and leadership of peers, and ensuring ethical and effective project development.
In order to support the summer implementation of RFE projects, all student leaders will receive a $900 stipend for their work.
Program Timeline (Fall 2021)
- Application released: August 23rd
- General info session: Week of August 23rd
- Info session with potential partners: Week of August 30th
- Application Advising Drop-in Sessions: September 9th 9am-12pm
- Application Deadline: September 12th at 11:59pm through Box Link
- Selection Committee meeting and announcements: Week of September 20th
- Cohort and alumni mentor meetings begin: Week of October 4th
- Project implementation begins: December-January depending on individual project timeline
- Projects completed: By end of spring semester
- Showcase of RFE projects: TBD (April-May)
Contact: Morgan Kinney, Associate Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 713-348-4327