The Loewenstern Fellowship provides students with funding, preparation, mentorship, and support to conduct critical service and/or civic research outside of the United States. Past Loewenstern fellows have worked in South America, Latin America, Asia, and Africa with partner organizations focused on a variety of social issues
including education, healthcare, political and economic development, and gender equality.
Fellows receive funding to cover the cost of their summer abroad. Fellows enroll in a semester-long, two-credit International Service course in spring 2022 before traveling to the host country during summer 2022. The course provides a critical lens to international development and frameworks for ethical global engagement.
We welcome all Rice undergraduate students to apply. Given that students were not able to travel internationally last year, we are allowing all returning undergraduate students AND seniors to apply for Loewenstern this year.
Application deadline: October 28, 2021, 11:59 pm CDT
- Download the fillable PDF application form
- Check out the placements offered for summer 2022
- Submit your completed application here
SAVE THE DATE for upcoming virtual information sessions and drop-in advising hours.
- Friday, October 15, 11:00 am CDT - info session - click here to watch the recording
- Tuesday, October 19, 7:00 pm CDT - info session - click here to join
- Friday, October 22, 11:00 am CDT - drop-in application advising - click here to join
- Tuesday, October 26, 7:00 pm CDT - drop-in application advising - click here to join
The Center for Civic Leadership provides a number of advising resources to support you with the application
process. Please reach out to us:
- Daily drop-in advising hours with CCL staff
- CCL Student Ambassadors: Sarah Swackhamer (email@example.com) and Sumin Hwang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Program lead: Kelsey Ullom, Assistant Director (email@example.com, RMC 208, 713-348-6163)