The Loewenstern Fellowship provides students with funding, preparation, mentorship, and support to conduct critical service and/or civic research outside of the United States. Past Loewenstern fellows have worked in South America, Latin America, Asia, and Africa with partner organizations focused on a variety of social issues
including education, healthcare, political and economic development, and gender equality.
Fellows receive funding to cover the cost of their summer abroad. Fellows enroll in a semester-long, two-credit International Service course in spring 2022 before traveling to the host country during summer 2022. The course provides a critical lens to international development and frameworks for ethical global engagement.
We welcome freshman, sophomores, and junior Rice undergraduate students to apply.
Application deadline: October 28, 2021, 11:59 pm CDT
- Download the fillable PDF application form
- Check out the placements offered for summer 2022
- Submit your completed application here
SAVE THE DATE for upcoming virtual information sessions and drop-in advising hours.
- Friday, October 15, 11:00 am CDT - info session - click here to watch the recording
- Tuesday, October 19, 7:00 pm CDT - info session - click here to join
- Friday, October 22, 11:00 am CDT - drop-in application advising - click here to join
- Tuesday, October 26, 7:00 pm CDT - drop-in application advising - click here to join
The Center for Civic Leadership provides a number of advising resources to support you with the application
process. Please reach out to us:
- Daily drop-in advising hours with CCL staff
- CCL Student Ambassadors: Sarah Swackhamer (email@example.com) and Sumin Hwang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Program lead: Kelsey Ullom, Assistant Director (email@example.com, RMC 208, 713-348-6163)