Through a generous donation by Walter Loewenstern (Rice class of 1958), the Loewenstern Fellowship provides undergraduate Rice students with funding, preparation, mentorship, and support to conduct civic research and/or critical service outside of the United States. Loewenstern fellows work across Latin and South America and Sub-Saharan Africa with partner organizations focused on a variety of social issues including education, healthcare, civil rights, and gender equality.
Fellows receive funding to cover the cost of their summer abroad. Fellows enroll in a semester-long, two-credit International Service course in the spring before traveling to the host country in the summer. The course provides a critical lens to international development and frameworks for ethical global engagement. During the course, the fellow will also initiate conversations with their partner organization to prepare for their summer work.
- We welcome first-year, sophomore, and junior Rice undergraduate students from all majors to apply. (Seniors - check out other fellowships opportunities here.)
- Fellows much be on campus for the spring 2023 semester to participate in the in-person International Service course.
- Other preferred qualifications such as foreign language proficiency are noted in the project descriptions.
Instructions to Apply:
- Review application components here.
- Click here to check out placements offered for Summer 2024.
- Use your NetID to log-in here and submit your application by the deadline: Thursday, October 26, 2023, 11:59 pm Central.
Save the Date for Upcoming Events:
- Virtual Information Session: Wednesday, October 4, 8:30 pm (Click here to view recording)
- CCL Showcase: Thursday, October 12, 5-6:30 pm in Grand Hall
- Munch & Mingle with Past Fellows: Wednesday, October 18, 1-2 pm, Brown Garden (outside of Chaus in RMC student center)
- Drop-in Advising Hour: Monday, October 23, 5-6 pm in CCL Conference Room (upstairs above Grand Hall) or on Zoom.
The Center for Civic Leadership provides a number of advising resources to support you with the application
process. Please reach out to us:
- Drop-in advising hours with CCL staff.
- CCL Student Ambassadors: Jorge Arnez Gonzales (firstname.lastname@example.org), Brendan Frizzell (email@example.com) and Celeste Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Program Lead: Kelsey Ullom, Associate Director (email@example.com, RMC 208, 713-348-6163)