The mission of the Center for Civic Leadership is to educate Rice undergraduates to achieve more just and equitable communities. We stand with members of our Black community to quell the forces that seek to divide us, to silence the voices that invoke bigotry and hate, and to transform the structures that perpetuate oppression. We are angered by the heinous acts of violence against black men and women, such as the recent killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor. We are grounded in critical hope, in a belief that a new order is possible. Black Lives Matter.
Tangible Ways to Improve the Black Experience, as Demanded by Black Students: Inaction is Not an Option
A group of Black Rice students have compiled and sent a list of demands to the administration. This list is a compilation of examples of tangible, concrete ideas and requests that various Black students have for the administration. Here are some of the biggest items on the list.
Link to the full list: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gi27qlhNjILkzvM-lzpd0vnfVK6kkjkl/view
• The Rice Black Student Association, Rice Student Association and other student leaders have created a list of resources. Click the following link to access it: Resources
Social Media Pages & Websites:
• Black Lives Matter: Houston - www.blmhouston.com
• Pure Justice - www.purejustice.org
• Restoring Justice - www.restoringjustice.org
• BLMHTX (HTX Mutual Aid Coalition) - www.blmhtx.org
• Indivisible Houston - www.indivisiblehouston.org
We will be updating this page with more links as time goes on. If you know of any additional resources and organizations, please reach out to us (firstname.lastname@example.org) so we can add them to this page.